Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Something's Brewing in Milwaukee

As a Brewers fan, I'm blessed to be able to read Al's Ramblings and Brew Crew Ball (both linked at the right of the page), as both deliver a different flavor of Brewers news than the mass media does. A lot of outside the box thinking goes on there, helping me feel like I know more about this team than Joe Average, my sworn nemesis. :D

With that, let's take a peek at this team this year. 

Catcher: Jason Kendall can do the job, and I was wrong about doubting him last year. Yes, sometimes Joe doesn't Know. Laugh it up. He does well with the pitching staff, and he's durable. We don't know what we have in Mike Rivera, really, because he never seems to get to play, but I've liked the little I've seen. 

1st Base: We have Prince there until Boras takes him away the first moment he can. Until then, settle in, and hope he doesn't get hurt, because then we're screwed. 

2nd Base: Rickie Weeks is underrated, in my book. A lot of people take a look at only the .234 batting average, and think he's not a good hitter. Not so. I've learned a few things lately, and one of them is that batting average is extremely overrated. Getting on base is the number one thing you want from a leadoff hitter, and he does it at a .342 clip, not great, but definitely worthy, especially since he's coming off a nasty wrist injury in 07 that really limited him. Another thing I've noticed is that strikeouts are overblown. Weeks is a leadoff man. Does it matter if he strikes out or flies out? Not at least one of five times he's up in a game. I think he's worthy of at least one more look. 

Shortstop: I always harass my girlfriend about JJ Hardy, because she's one of his fanboys, but really, he had a great season last year, and I expect him to get even a bit better. Hardy has the range that I think he could play any one of the infield positions at least adequately, which is important, with the supergloved Alcides Escobar waiting in the wings.

3rd Base: And I think Hardy ends up here at some point, as Bill Hall isn't able to hit righthanders, for the most part. Hall had a career year in 2006, but since then, has struggled, as he's been moved from the infield to center to back to third base, and his career on-base against righties is only .300. I can see Hardy being here by the end of July, and Escobar ranging at short. Another thing we could do is bring up a prospect named Mat Gamel, who supposedly has a big bat and a glove full of holes, from most sources I read. 

Left Field: Please, please, please, don't let Ryan Braun be hurt. Next question.

Center Field: Mike Cameron seems to bring enough intangibles into play, as well as a great glove, to make his penchant for striking out less important to me. Even at age 36, he gets on base enough, and hits with power. I hope we have something in the farm system to back him up for next year, but for now, I'm fine. 

Right Field: Corey Hart was an All-Star last year. Then September arrived. When the dust settled, he had only a .300 OBP, with somewhat decent power numbers, but that September swoon downright frightens me, because before that, Hart had been getting better every season, so far. This year is his age 27 year, generally a peak year for the average player. I think we'll find out just what we have there, if we have a long-term keeper, or if he's hit his peak already. 

Starting Pitching: Signing Braden Looper yesterday helps, as the depth is nice, but the rotation will miss both Ben Sheets and CC Sabathia. I forsee a rotation of Yovani Gallardo, Dave Bush, Manny Parra, Jeff Suppan, and Looper, with Seth McClung on the outside looking in early, waiting for an opportunity. 

Bullpen: Losing Salomon Torres hurts, as he had a very effective year as a closer last year. However, the addition of Trevor Hoffman adds a proven arm to the bullpen group, and the addition of Jorge Julio adds depth to a group including Carlos Villanueva, McClung, Mitch Stetter, Todd Coffey, and a few other arms that proved to be major league caliber, at least for last season. I'm not too worried about this, as long as the starting rotation holds up.

I predict a bit of a downturn this year, with 84 wins, but I think this team has the potential for more, especially if the young pitching is as advertised. 

No comments:

Post a Comment