Sunday, September 26, 2010

Ranking the Big 10: My Preferences

This is going to be a slightly unusual way of ranking teams. I'm putting them in order simply based on who I'd cheer for, assuming it had no impact on the Badgers, of course.

1. Wisconsin

Duh. And I'm rooting for whoever makes it easier for the Badgers to win the Big 10. Moving on, however...

I find myself rooting for these teams.... 


2. Michigan

I blame Norm for this. I do find an attraction in the tradition, Hail to the Victors, the winged helmets, and the fact that they don't run a (really) dirty program, at least as far as we've been able to tell. Plus, people from Ann Arbor can throw a good party and are fun to drink with.

3. Penn State.

Again, tradition, the plain blue uni's, Joe Pa's corpse being the head coach in the next 10 years, Weekend at Bernie's style, and the fact that they tend to make the Big 10 look good and don't choke on their cupcakes. (I'm looking at you, Michigan)

4. Nebraska

This is obviously subject to change, but them looking good this year really helps our street cred.

I'm rather indifferent to these teams....


5. Northwestern

They have the underdog thing going for them, but I'd like them a lot better if they didn't continually beat us in Evanston, even when they're not supposed to be good enough to do so. Expect games in the high 40's each between us there.

6. Indiana

Tough to dislike a team that doesn't beat you. Except for a bit of an issue around 2001-2002, we have beaten them consistently since 1992. Therefore, I tend to root for them by default, because they usually don't hurt us.

7. Michigan State

These guys annoy me more than anything. They tend to beat us when we're going good, but roll over for us when we're not. It seems to be vice versa with us, and we've both knocked down otherwise great seasons for each other.

8. Illinois

They aren't usually much of a threat, but every so often, they go nuts and have a great season, knocking us off along the way. It isn't really worth rooting for them, as when they're good, they're too good, and when they're bad, they're bottom of the barrel.

9. Purdue

I just don't like them much. It's just one of those things. There's no reason for it, they haven't done anything that would make it this way, it's just, yuck.

They're rivals, but I don't hate them TOO much....

10. Iowa

This is a rivalry in which you want to beat the other, you dislike the other, but you can appreciate their successes somewhat and tip your hat when they best you.

If they play each other, I root for a meteor....


11. Minnesota
12. Ohio State

Everything about these two schools rubs me the wrong way. Mind you, Ohio State isn't technically a "rival", but they will be a division mate, they run a dirty program (Tressel ran a dirty program at Youngstown State, and you KNOW Clarett wasn't eligible, but you don't see Ohio State forfeiting victories, while USC is the "worst thing to happen in college football in decades." Tell me how fair THAT is), and they're arrogant about the whole thing. Seeing them get it handed to them in BCS games, even if it hurts the conference, makes me happy. Minnesota taking a digger against South Dakota also makes me happy.

So there you have it. Besides the bottom two, who I wouldn't root for if my life depended on it, the others can be interchanged depending on the standings situation. But hey, this was fun to do, and it's something more than a link to the latest college roundtable. :D

1 comment:

  1. You know, you should publicize these a little bit more often-I've got a couple of other Badger friends that would love to read this stuff. Stumbled across this last night when I was linking to the Wisky/MSU preview. FWIW, I approve of your #2 team AND your hatred for that school from the Worst State Ever.

    ReplyDelete