Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Big 10 Division Split

This is an issue that will likely be discussed in the roundtable discussion post later on, but I figure I'd tackle it now while it's fresh, from a Wisconsin perspective.


From my perspective, this sucks for Wisconsin. We got the worst of this entire deal.


Understand that I see the best way to do things as having the rivals play in each other's divisions, and to have an equal split of 3 opponents from the other division alternating evenly. That may give you an idea why this is so grating to me.


To recap for the uneducated, the Big 10 is splitting up as such:


Division 1: Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern, Minnesota
Division 2: Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois



I would have to say that Wisconsin's main goals out of all this were to face Minnesota every year (preserved because of the automatic cross-division matchup), face Iowa every year (nope, not happening), and in a perfect world, see Nebraska every year (not happening either).


One out of three might work in baseball, but in football, that's pretty bad.


I don't terribly mind facing Ohio State every year. Out of all the Big 10 teams, I have the least amount of like/respect for them. Penn State is always a top tier team as well, but don't color me too excited about Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois. None of them inspire rivalry talk, trophy games, and the like.


Here are the protected crossover games:


Michigan-Ohio State, Penn State-Nebraska, Minnesota-Wisconsin, Northwestern-Illinois, Purdue-Iowa, Michigan State-Indiana.


So, uh, tell me, Indiana and Purdue isn't enough of an in-state rivalry to be worth preserving? I can't see Purdue-Iowa or Michigan State-Indiana as being hot enough rivalries to trump that. Iowa-Michigan State would be an odd pairing, but no less odd than the two that exist now. 


At least for the Michigan-Ohio State fans, they get everything they want. Besides that, though, I can't see how the Big 10 could have done any worse.


Since I've been attacking it for this long, I might as well give you my thoughts. Had they asked me, here's what they may have gotten.


West Division:
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Penn State
Illinois


East Division:
Michigan
Ohio State
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern


Even this isn't perfect, as it splits Illinois-Northwestern, but that may be fixed with permanent crossovers, if necessary. Penn State could also be shuffled east, but that would put the traditional powers within one division, for the most part, and probably wouldn't fly. Not that one of those traditional powers has been powerful lately. *hides from Norm*


All right, enough of my whining. Let's see how this plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment